TRI-AREA MINISTRY (TAM) Food Pantry is a nonprofit, non-denominational , 100% volunteer run organization with a mission to provide food to eligible clients in the towns of Wake Forest, Rolesville and Youngsville, as well as in the surrounding areas of Wake County.
Food is distributed to each client once a month. The Pantry is open for distribution on Mondays and Wednesdays and the third Saturday of the month from 10:00 am until 1:00 pm.
We receive federal food donations from the Food Assistance Program once a month. This assistance is administered by the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina. We also purchase food from the North Carolina state run Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina, at deeply discounted prices on a weekly basis. Additionally, we pick up fresh products from our retail partners – Lowes Foods, Food Lion, Aldi, Panera Bread and Starbucks.
Churches, individuals and community organizations provide the both financial and food donations, making it possible for us to serve a great number of families each month.
TAM is the largest Food Pantry in the Wake Forest, Youngsville, and Rolesville area serving 750 families each month. We serve approximately 2,800 people per month or 34,000 people each year. Each family who visits the Food Pantry receives a grocery bag containing 10-15 assorted cans of fruit and vegetables and 5 other products referred to as “toppers.” Additionally, each of our clients receive meat, a breakfast item, a dessert item and an assortment of other available items.
On a recent Wednesday, we served 122 families. This equates to 1,500 cans, 610 boxed items, 500 assorted items, 122 packages of meat, 122 boxes of cereal & 122 bottles of juice (almost 3,000 food items), distributed in just 3 and ½ hours! Each year we distribute approximately 350,000 lbs of food.
While we are proud of our efforts to serve so many families, we are also proud of our conservation efforts. We run an efficient operation – while recycling plastic and cardboard, and composting unusable food.
Facts About Hunger in North Carolina
According to NC Assoc. of Feeding America Food Banks (ncfoodbanks.org)
- NC is in the TOP 10 for the highest percentage of HUNGRY citizens
- 1 in 4 children in NC are “food insecure” (hungry).
- The average Food Assistance (Food Stamps) provided is $4.40 per person per day – so family of 4 gets $123 a week and a single person gets $31/week.
- 81% of NC households receiving food stamps don’t know where or when their next meal is coming.
- 22% of NC citizens on food stamps have at least one family member who has served in the Military.
- 3 of 4 teachers in Wake County report that they have hungry children in their classroom at least weekly.
- 36% of NC food pantries have been forced to close at some point due to lack of food.