Hunger in North Carolina according to NC Assoc. of Feeding America Food Banks (ncfoodbanks.org)
1. NC is in the TOP 10 for highest % of HUNGRY citizens
2. 1 in 4 children in NC are “food insecure” – meaning hungry
3. Average Food Assistance (Food Stamps) is $4.40 per person per day – so family of 4 gets $123 a week and a single person gets $31/week.
4. 81% of NC households receiving food stamps don’t know where there next meal is coming from.
5. 22% of NC citizens on food stamps have at least one member who has served in the Military.
6. 3 of 4 Teachers in Wake County report that they have hungry children in their classroom at least weekly.
7. 36% of NC Food Pantries have been forced to close at some point due to lack of food.